Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Statement from Derringer Coordinator Candidate Larry Chavis

I'm Larry Chavis, and my name is on the ballot for this year's Derringer Coordinator. This isn't as much a 'campaign' post as it is an informative one.

I'm 57 years old, I teach high school physics and mathematics (my degree is in physics), and I am a lover of mystery/crime/thriller fiction in general, and the short story form in particular. I did begin writing three or so years ago, but have little to report thus far. You won't have heard of me ;-) I had two stories published in the now-defunct *Crime and Suspense* ezine (don't think there was a causal relationship), one of which placed second in a reader-judged contest, and was subsequently published in the anthology TEN FOR TEN, edited by Tony Burton and published by Wolfmont Press. Other than those, and some encouraging letters from editors, I am just one of many plugging away at it, trying to learn from my mistakes.

I have served once as a Derringer judge, and was the at-large member of this year's Golden Derringer committee. If elected, I will do my dead-level best to see that the process runs as smoothly and fairly as humanly possible. If not elected, I stand ready to help in any way I can.

Thanks for your patience.

Larry Chavis
Mississippi

No comments: